Cherished readers, The Lady cannot begin to list how many times she has been out with Lord Hooper-Brackett and while enjoying a meal, having the peace shattered by a big mouth at the next table having a loud conversation on his cell. Of course these vociferous exchanges are usually precipitated by an obnoxious ringtone playing a vulgar song about liking large derrieres and not being able to lie.
The Lady has pretty much had enough of cell phone use in public and has compiled a list of things that will help you in not being one of ‘those people’ who annoy others when using your cell phone.
- Etiquette and manners are about consideration of those around you. If you remember nothing else about manners, remember this: Do Nothing That Will Draw Attention To Yourself. (The Lady says: Please reconsider your public ringtone)
- Speak softly and speak quickly.
- Do not discuss private topics or other people in a public place. Voices carry.
- Do watch your language and do not curse or swear. The Lady hopes you will do this on or off the cell phone!
- Do not repeatedly glance at your phone, text, or check the web while you are conversing with others.
- Do not be a distracted driver and use the cell while you are driving.
- Silence phones in theaters, libraries, churches, schools, meetings….anywhere that people can be disturbed.
- If it annoys you when you see others doing it, it annoys others when you do it. Remember that people and relationships matter; be mindful of your habits and control them.
Technology is a wonderful thing…after all, it allows you to read this blog! How we handle the technology is another thing entirely. The Lady is hopeful that a day will come when everyone in restaurants looks up at the person they are seated across from and not down at their phones.
Best Cell Wishes,
The Lady Hooper-Brackett